Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sometimes, Words Fail

The following is a short column I wrote to be included in my college's newspaper about the historic election last night. It was written quickly, after class today, but it came from the heart:

I know many people are thinking and feeling the same things I am, and words cannot adequately express many of those things. Last night was a night to be an American. Hope and a million possibilities seemed to hang in the air, there for the taking if only we were willing to grasp them. We did grasp them when we elected Barack Obama to become the 44th President of the United States of America. Not only was the election itself an amazing event with the first African American to be elected President in this country, but the events that took place after the winner was declared were illustrative of the kind of leader Barack Obama already is and the brilliant future that is a real possibility for this country.

Many of us on this campus heard the cheering last night when the results were announced. Many of us were part of the jubilation that spilled into the streets of Galesburg before returning to Knox where people came together for music and dance in order to express the joy that seemed all-encompassing not only on our campus, but around the world.

Barack Obama has done something amazing: He has invigorated people and motivated them to become involved in the political process, to be excited, and to really care. That is how real change is going to come about in this country, and Obama has already started the process, even before moving into the White House. All I can say is that I am so grateful to have been a part of this historic moment, and I look forward to the next four years.


Me, pointing at my "I Voted" sticker, right after voting
for Barack Obama in my first presidential election yesterday.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Yay. Yay. Yay.

lindsay said...

I don't remember standing up, but when they made the official announcement that Obama had won, we were all suddenly on our feet, jumping and screaming, followed by some more yelling and hugs, then as the networks panned over Grant Park, we watched in silence, amazed at what we had done.

I'll never forget it.

Anonymous said...

extremely well written.