Sunday, March 2, 2008

Women, let's focus on what's important, like homemaking.

The Washington Post published a riveting editorial today that was written by Charlotte Allen, an anti-feminist member of the Independent Women's Forum. Golly, there was so much I didn't know about being a woman until I read this! For example, women are stupid. You should really read it for yourself.

About women's reactions to some of Sen. Barack Obama's rallies, Allen had this to say (emphasis mine):

"…I can't help it, but reading about such episodes of screaming, gushing and swooning makes me wonder whether women -- I should say, "we women," of course -- aren't the weaker sex after all. Or even the stupid sex, our brains permanently occluded by random emotions, psychosomatic flailings and distraction by the superficial."

Oh, and this on the proper role of women!:

"…So I don't understand why more women don't relax, enjoy the innate abilities most of us possess (as well as the ones fewer of us possess) and revel in the things most important to life at which nearly all of us excel: tenderness toward children and men and the weak and the ability to make a house a home…Then we could shriek and swoon and gossip and read chick lit to our hearts' content and not mind the fact that way down deep, we are . . . kind of dim."

Yeah…good point. Why am I spending thousands of dollars on a college education when I could take care of people (like babies!) and focus on being a homemaker? That would suit my innate stupidity. Wait, I’m not fond of children, and I can’t even keep my room clean. And I guess graduating as valedictorian was just some kind of fluke, right?

Write a letter to the editor of The Washington Post here.

EDIT: Along those same, stupid lines.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well maybe...

JPR said...

What about lesbians?

Anonymous said...

Maybe women that aren't good at being women should get a sex change.

Gozzibopli said...

Keep up the good work with your blog. It looks like you're getting some backlash from your comments page; don't let them get you down.

Dark Matter said...

I really enjoyed the tone you took with this. Some of the other blogs I read mentioned that some people are defending it as a satirical post; the only evidence I've seen of this is that she hasn't actually quit her job. Good blog overall.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go search desperately for a man to care for so that my life isn't so completely devoid of meaning. Toodles!